Tuesday, December 01, 2009

I Know My Stuff, I Really Do!


Why is it when I try to describe what I do to others it sounds stupid. It sounds like I don't know what I'm doing! They sit and stare at me with this look on their face like "Huh??". I tell them its my job to produce the content on the website and over see the production of all recorded products associated with the programs. Additionally I produce programs for outside clients for their CLE needs and post them online and host them. Huh??
Then we get clients who want us to do for them what we do for ourselves. Management tells me, "Go ahead Chuck, tell them what you do.." So I start to explain about the two separate workflows that exist. The live , on-site audience that needs all of the presentation equipment and the sound re-enforcement for them to hear and see the conference, and the live webcast audience that needs to get the conference delivered to their PC's and all the equipment associated with that. Huh??
Am I making sense or do I just not communicate well any longer? I wonder sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Web casting, or broadcasting over the internet, is a media file (audio-video mostly) distributed over the internet using streaming media technology. Streaming implies media played as a continuous stream and received real time by the browser (end user). Streaming technology enables a single content source to be distributed to many simultaneous viewers. Streaming video bandwidth is typically calculated in gigabytes of data transferred. It is important to estimate how many viewers you can reach, for example in a live webcast, given your bandwidth constraints or conversely, if you are expecting a certain audience size, what bandwidth resources you need to deploy.

    To estimate how many viewers you can reach during a webcast, consider some parlance:
    One viewer: 1 click of a video player button at one location logged on
    One viewer hour: 1 viewer connected for 1 hour
    100 viewer hours: 100 viewers connected for 1 hour…

    Typically webcasts will be offered at different bit rates or quality levels corresponding to different user’s internet connection speeds. Bit rate implies the rate at which bits (basic data units) are transferred. It denotes how much data is transmitted in a given amount of time. (bps / Kbps / Mbps…). Quality improves as more bits are used for each second of the playback. Video of 3000 Kbps will look better than one of say 1000Kbps. This is just like quality of a image is represented in resolution, for video (or audio) it is measured by the bit rate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, I like Andy's explanation.

    However, I think it's entirely you. Just do what i do when someone asks what I do. I smile sarcastically and say I work for a legal service place, don't worry about it.

    AND, when I'm forced to explain it to clients I say, I'm like the drain in the sink that you don't necessarily clean all the time AND YET it manages to catch everything? That's me.

    ReplyDelete