Thursday, October 08, 2009

Being Martha or Being Mary

I assume if you've attended church you might have heard this one before, but I think its important. I read the Bible in the morning. It helps me focus and gets my mind centered on life's priorities. I read the passage in Luke where Jesus was visiting a house and the two sisters, Martha and Mary were there. Martha was running around making dinner and tending to all the details for the guests, but Mary was just chilling listening to Jesus and enjoying his company. Martha was getting pissed because she was doing all this work and Mary wasn't doing crap and she said to Jesus, " Hey Jesus, do you think its fair that I'm running around doing everything and Mary is sitting there doing nothing?" Jesus turned to her and said, "Don't sweat the details Martha. Whatever will be, will be. Mary knows I won't be here forever and she's enjoying the time she has with me. You should chill too." Jesus is cool in my book. I don't think he was trying to put Martha down, but she has to know when to stop and enjoy life. Too often we get caught up in the details. We need to slow down and enjoy what life has for us, what God has given us and don't be in such a hurry to always do the work that we think has to be done or take care of the silly details. I think we should pay attention to the little things and enjoy them. The laundry and the garbage and the painting and the vacuuming can all wait. Be with your loved ones.

1 comment:

  1. I was totally a Martha this morning..although, Jesus definitely should have been like - Mary, go help with the dishes, we'll converse when you're done.

    I think Jesus is very awesome.

    ReplyDelete