Monday, May 12, 2008

Your DNA

This weekend I wasn't feeling well. My wife and daughter went food shopping as I stayed home with my other two kids. As I was laying in bed at 7 pm and burping my peanut butter sandwich back up through my nauseous stomach for the hundredth time, it dawned on me that perhaps Alka Seltzer would calm my sick feeling. I picked up the phone and dialed my daughter's cell phone. When she picks up I said, "Can you please bring me back some Alka-Seltzer from the store?" "OK Dad", she answered, "we will get you lots of seltzer." "No!" I said back to her. I need ALKA-Seltzer". "Lots-a Seltzer?" She said back to me again. "ALKA SELTZER ALKA-SELTZER" I'm yelling into the phone. "Put your mother on. When my wife got on the phone and heard what I wanted she started cracking up. My daughter never heard of Alka-Seltzer before, so she didn't know what it was I was asking for.
The point here is that when she didn't understand me I yelled louder to her, as if that would help her somehow understand better. My father used to do the same thing. If you didn't understand that 7 times 6 was 42 he would yell it louder to you as if more decibels would get it across your cerebellum better. I should be more conscious of this trait that I have and try not to do this. But I guess its something that is etched into your DNA and is really hard to change. I'm working on it.