Thursday, May 22, 2008

Since I Started Reading The Wall Street Journal



I started reading the Wall Street Journal for work. I needed to keep up on the business news. I felt it necessary to see what the heck all my colleagues were talking about. I mostly read The NY Post. I loved the headlines, like "Headless Body Found in Topless Bar". Absolutely brilliant. Nowhere else in New York would you get writing like that!! Also, the sports section was second to none. They always covered the Giants fully and I got all the info I needed during the season about the inner workings of the football team. But alas, I needed to grow up and read some real news. I needed political insight, business news and world news that was responsibly reported without the funny snide-ness that the Post reports with. But oh my goodness, its a scary world out there. In the past few months I have been reading the WSJ here's what I have been learning:

  1. The price of oil has been increasing and there's no stopping it for the foreseeable future. In fact, we might be running out of the stuff and there really isn't any viable alternative in place.
  2. Food shortages around the world is sparking riots. Countries are hording rice and prices are soaring
  3. Bio-fuels may have caused food shortages and people may be going hungry because we turned corn and soybeans into fuel
  4. Wind Power can't be a viable alternative in generating electricity.
  5. The president and Congress can't get anything done and both should be put out to pasture.
  6. The Federal Reserve bailed out Bear Sterns with tax money and that was supposed to be a good thing for the economy???
  7. Now homeowners who were stupid enough to take loans they couldn't afford get the government to bail them out on the taxpayers dime. And the guy who never missed a payment gets what???? The worlds upside down
  8. Cyclones, earthquakes and more cyclones don't discriminate. They just wreck and kill.
  9. Despite bad economic times, Disney theme parks in the USA continue to thrive. That's mind boggling.
  10. Politics keep going on and people seem to think it is going to be different. It doesn't matter.