Friday, May 16, 2008

The Homework!

I'm the first to admit that my wife does most of the homework with the kids every night. Every night the three kids have a bunch of homework that they have to get done. My 13 year old daughter takes care of most of her work herself. Sometimes I have to proof her essays and offer guidance, but for the most part, she can work independently. However, my 10 year old son needs total guidance through the entire process. My wife has been doing this since September. It's now May and he hasn't gotten any better at working independently. It is beginning to wear us down. Even my 7 year old girl works more independently than he does. I think it's a boy thing. He doesn't seem to pick up things as quickly as his sisters. I remember when his older sister was in fourth grade. She began working on her homework independently mid year. I'm looking forward to the end of school. I hate homework. It feels like the teachers give it out just to keep some parents quiet. I think kids need less homework and more downtime when they are out of school. It's not effective when after a long day at school they have to spend two plus hours doing more school work. Kids need to play too. And so do adults!